Question

fppollard

Is it typical for a bank to pull my credit before, even calculating ratios?
Is it typical for a bank to pull my credit before, even calculating ratios, to see if I would qualify for the loan I am seeking?

YES

Otherwise they would have no info to work with.  They can't trust that people applying for the loan will give them all the accurate info they need.  There are just to many people that would try to manipulate the system. 

Its the "reliable third party" that can give them accurate info that they can make decisions on.   

Just like a lender giving you a credit card or a car loan. They will pull your report before saying yes or no.