Question

AshNTy2010

Is it smarter to keep paying on 3 credit cards or get a personal loan and use it to pay all 3 off?
My wife and I have 3 credit cards, one is a small debt one that is interest free, another one has high interest (19.9%) but low debt(under 3k) and another one that has high interest (17.9%) and $6,500 worth of debt. My questions is would it be smarter to keep paying off all 3 monthly or get a personal loan, pay off all 3 at once and then just have 1 monthly payment each month and just charge something small to them each month and pay off so it doesn't negatively effect the credit score? Or would it just make matters worse? I seen with the credit simulator that it would make my score go up but I don't know if it would be a smarter choice for the long run or not. any advice would help. thank you.

Most Helpful Response

Personal loan

Free is free, don't touch.  The other two, see what the rate for a personal loan would be and do what costs less.  Only make minimum payments on free loan until they are going to start charging interest.  Pay most on highest then second highest.

Try to transfer balances

Check what it  would cost you, or if it is possible, to transfer your balances of the high interest cards to the zero interest card. Keep doing that until your debt is paid off. Don't take on more debt until you have paid off what you owe. You're letting yourself get caught up in a vicious circle. "IF" you are able to get a low interest loan to pay the cards make sure you don't aqcuire more debt until you pay off that loan.