Question

TKothe

Is it possible to remove a delinquent payment that was caused by a company's deceptive practice?
About six months ago my fiancee and I bought wedding bands from one of the major jewelry chains. The woman who helped us set us up with an account through Capital One, using the prospect of no payments and no interest for a year as the primary selling point. I made several payments over the next few months anyway, just to knock the balance down, but about a week ago I got a call from Capital One trying to collect payments that were delinquent on that account. They explained that they cannot offer "no payments for a year" as an incentive, and I paid up immediately. That hasn't stopped the delinquent payment from dinging my credit by 40 points, though.

I know I really should have read through the terms more carefully when we first got the account- regardless, though, I feel I was deceived by the employee who sold us the bands. Making the payments wouldn't have been an issue had I known I needed to. But now I stand to have this hanging over my head for seven years. Is there any way I can request that the delinquent payment alert be removed from my record due to deceptive practices? To be clear, I don't hold Capital One at fault for the jeweler's statements.

You can send Capital One a "Goodwill Letter" explaining the situation and asking them to remove the late payment. If they don't, keep sending letters. You can do some research around the net on how to write a good Goodwill Letter. I would also consider contacting the owner or president of the jewelry company and explain your situation to them and maybe they can contact Capital One as ask for the removal for you as they will most likely have more pull since the utilize Capital One for their financing. Just keep trying and keep contacting as many different people as you can and hopefully you will find the right person that can grant your request.

If you get no where, then you may want to consider writing reviews on this jewelry company about your experience or file a report with the BBB or contact an attorney, however since you signed the paperwork, you most likely would not have any case.