Question

mjur2260

Is it good to show on your credit that something is "paid off"?
I have something on my credit that's in collections, I called and asked if I pay it off in full can they remove it from my credit. The lady I spoke with told me they can only mark it as "paid off" Would the best thing to do is just pay it off and hope my credit goes up or just let it fall off? It's been there for 2 year. Is it always best to pay things off?

It depends on your state's statute of limitations, but something as recent as 2 years old I feel would be worth reconciling. Yes, your report shows that it's "paid off", but that has less of an impact of a an open delinquency.  When I recently paid off a delinquent account my score increased by 8 points. So while it's not a major change, it definitely helped. And I feel good knowing that I paid it off (it was a medical bill I didn't even know I had). So assuming you know the debt is actually yours and it's something you can take care of financially, then I'd do it. If your score takes a hit it should recoup pretty quickly.