Question

01984

Is it better to use Roth funds to pay off my 100K mortgage now while working or after I retire?
We both work now, so regular IRA is taxable. I'm 62. Next year I may retire, and the idea of being debt free is very appealing. The current payment is 2254/month without escrow. We can live on a much lower income (and lower tax bracket) if the mortgage is gone.

If you do, the Roth income could be considered regular income and taxed as such, and there could be a substantial penalty for early withdrawal.  Check the terms of your fund before doing something like that.  And you could consider checking into a reverse mortgage.  I do know someone who has benefitted from that.