Question

headhawg7

Is it better to pay off credit card as soon as transaction shows up or pay at end of billing cycle?
I am trying to build my credit and I have been using my cards quite a bit and paying them off online as soon as each company allows me. So for example if I buy something on May 22nd It takes a couple days to show up to allow me to pay and then I pay off that transaction. However would it be best to try to wait to pay off the bill after the billing cycle ends? So my billing cycle on most of my cards is right around the 13th of every month. So right now I have a balance on one card of a $400 and I can pay it off now but would it be best to wait until the 14th of June, once this month's statement goes out, to pay off this bill? I want to do whatever is best to help boost my credit

Wait

Wait until you get your statement and there is a minimum amount due. Generally you would want your balance to be around 10% of your credit limit when the statement comes out.

if you're over 20%, you can pay half off before the statement date, but you might lose rewards points.

Sounds like you check your accounts online, as I do, and that's good.  You want your usage ratio to show up, so do not want to pay too soon.  That closing date of the 13th is key.  If you pay your accounts in full every month, you will see nothing in the 'minimum due' column shortly after the payment is in, then, within a day after the 'closing date' of the billing cycle, there will be a new minimum due and that time until the due date is when you want to pay the bills.

Awesome...thanks guys. Might credit limit is only $1100 between 3 cards and I have around $400 or so balance on one card so I will payoff around $300 to get it down to 10%, wait until the statement is issued on the 13th, then pay off the other $100.