Question

muckle84

Is it better to keep an older card or upgrade - my situation..:
I have a capone platinum mastercard with a 1.25% rewards rate. I want their Quicksilver card for the 1.5% cash back across the board... If I get Quicksilver it will pretty much make the Platinum obsolete...

Is there any point in keeping the Platinum open and getting the Quicksilver in addition?

The upgrade eligibility checker on my account shows no upgrade offers... but I've recently boosted by score into the "excellent" range so I'm thinking they might authorize an upgrade over the phone.

Any insight would be helpful.

Most Helpful Response

Never close an account.

Unless there is an annual fee for the card, Don't ever close it. It keeps your credit ratio up there and if you close it it will have a downward effect on your report. (less available credit)

If you have a good rating there should be no reason that you would be denied.

Just be sure to use it occasionally so it doesn't get closed for non-use. (when I "retire" a card I will put a recurring charge on it such as my electric bill or cable bill. something that I'm going to be paying for anyway, this shows utilization with out incurring any interest if you pay it when due.)

Good Luck!