Question

Leo1107

Is it better to help son with outstanding debt to protect his credit or learn how to repair later?

Morality vs. Credit

This a parenting question that you have figure out for yourself. As a parent, I would probably help to a degree, but there were would be some "conditions" attached. I would need to be paid back. If unemployment caused the issue the kid would need to find a job or two, even if it was flipping burgers, to pay me back, not apply for anymore credit during these "difficulties". As for "credit repair later", there really is no such thing. Once your credit has been marred, it is marred, the only thing that will truly "repair" it would be time passing and it also depends on the situations that messed up the credit to begin with. While it is true that a person can still obtain credit after having credit issues, the interest rates tend to be higher so in the end it costs the person more money for the credit extended. Personally, I would probably extend the offer to help as a "one timer", if the kid messed up again, then they would have to learn with time passing how valuable decent credit is. 

In my opinion, you are a pretty good person for being willing to even consider helping.