Question

amynguyen512

Is it better credit wise to pay off your credit card all at once or over time?
I owe around 3k on my credit card and I'm able to pay it off all at once but I'm trying to raise my credit score up. Should I pay off the monthly payment or just pay it off all at once?

Most Helpful Response

Keep less than 10-20% of limit on card

The best way to help your score is to be sure that the balance on your card is never more than 10% of your credi limit.   That is not your ending balance.   That is at all times throughout the month.   What percentage of your credit limit does $3000 represent.   If over 10% now,  pay off totally and then never charge more than 10% of credit limit during month and the pay off totally every month.  Use it every month but never carry a balance. 

Pay it off Now,  don't wait.

If you want to build up payment history send them 1.25 each month for the Credit Cards you have.  it will count as a payment.

Never Charge on a Credit Card what you can't pay for in Cash right then.   If you can't pay Cash then you Can't Charge it.

If you can pay it all off without hurting yourself I would do that.Then use it but try to keep it between 1 to 9% and pay it off every month on time.If you go to myfico.com theres a score simulator.I've used it and it's far from perfect(as most things are)but it gives you a great deal of information as to what they look for in figuring the score.