Question

dodingdebt

Is it beneficial to pay of debt in collections to boost credit score
If I pay off all of my debts owed, about 1,500 worth, will that boost my credit out of the low 500s to something in the 6 or 700 range.
I have a car that I never missed payments on.
A U.S govt student loan, that I have missed payments on.
Outside of these two things, I have things in collections, that I plan to pay off completely.
Now my goal is to move to a new apartment, but is it better to just tax that 1500$ and pay the landlord in advance for the next few months in order to secure that apartment, or is it better to pay off the 1500$ in debt, and than wait for my score to boost?

Your first action should be to read the articles on this site so you can learn how credit really works and how to build a good score, which you don't have now.  After doing some reading, you may learn about the statute of limitations on collections and how to negotiate a "pay for delete" agreement which could remove some currently reported accounts right away instead of having to wait the- normal 7 years for them to fall off your credit report.  Then you have to get busy paying the debts which are going to have a bad effect on your credit until you become credit smart.

Paying off collections does little to help your score UNLESS you are able to get them removed. Do reading on "pay for delete agreements".