Question

erwangdamango

Is it bad to max out your credit card, but pay it in full?
I was recently approved for a CapitalOne QS1 MC with $500.
My very first credit card after having a secured card for 6 months.
I spend about $1500 a month using my debit card and cash.
Would it be bad to max out my credit cards 3 times a month, but pay it off in full by the end of my billing cycle?
Or should I stay within 30% utilization rate and making about 10 payments per billing cycle?
I want to establish a good credit history so that I can get a big CLI in 6 months time.
Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Most Helpful Response

you will have to figure out what date the card company reports your balance to the credit bureaus and just make sure that you are at about 10% utilization at that time of the month. the date that they report to the credit bureaus is the important date to have a low balance, with most companies it is within a couple days of your statement date

erwangdamango

Thanks!

Just to clarify, it wont matter how many times I max it out, just as long as I'm under 10% when it gets reported?

yes, you are correct erwangdam

CC companies ususally report the balance at the end of your billing cycle to the agencies. if you pay it off before then, then you're golden.