Question

pscglenn

Is it a good idea to pay off a bill in collections or let it go
I have 8 bills in collection all from the same collection company, I am not disputing that I owe them just the fact that I was never sent anything prior to them showing up on my credit reports. I have called and they will not do a Pay for delete. All these bills are co-pays from 2012. My big question is since they are so new would I be better off paying each of them in full and would that hurt or help my credit score and once they show paid can I then challenge them in hopes they get deleted. Credit Management Company out of Pittsburgh is a real nightmare to deal with and the original creditor is not willing to help either. Please offer some good strong advice on what would be the proper way to handle this situation.

They're likely not yours!!

Go to freeannualreport.com and get all 3 credit reports (Experian, Equifax, Transunion) and go over them thoroughly.  Anythinbg you know or have any doubts about being yours, you'll want to file disputes with the credit bureau reporting that item.  They'll have to investigate and either verify or remove.

NEVER just pay something because it's on your credit report, because you'd be paying someone else's debt and they sure wouldn't be paying yours, would they?

Make checking your credit reports an annual ritual so that everything on the reports will be true and accurate.