Question

Goodideaorno

Is it a good idea to apply for new credit cards while you are purchasing a new car?
I ask because since my credit is higher at the moment I'm sure it will lower post acceptance of auto loan. So if I've already gotten approved for auto is it a good idea to go ahead and get a card with a better interest rate and consolidate another onto one with lower interest rate?

if your score is high now

you could go for it.  Take advanatage of the lag in reporting and open that new account.  But be aware that your score will take a hit for a bit longer. if your Ratios are good, then it shouldn't have a lasting impact.