Question

rhsophia

Is credit score drop based on current credit utilization?Can it recover with low utilization ratio?
I found my credit score drop down from 740 to 690 and guess it is due to that the big purchase result in >50%credit utilization ratio last month. I wonder if it will increase to 740 when I go back to regular purchase (<20%credit utilization) this month. How soon? I am planning to apply a loan recently.

Most Helpful Response

Yes, your score will recover quickly. Although the general rule is that scores drop quickly, but rise only slowly, changes in utilization rate are the happy exception. While you can see a BIG drop from using up too much of your credit, you should see a BIG increase as soon as your credit card vendor reports the paydown to the credit bureaus.

Sumflow

Is this true when reported utilization shows zero on an active account?

same problem

i thought it was better to show i can pay 5500$ out of my 6500$ limit. but as soon as i get my statement my score decreases 40 point. i immediately paid the 5500$ yesterday..  do you think my score will recover ? :(