Question

alysha727

Is a Secured Credit Card a good idea now?
I am interested in purchasing a used vehicle in a few months. My credit score isn't too great right now sitting at 599. Should I consider a Secured Credit Card now to push that number up a little or is it going to bring it down? I am financially secure now and recently paid off a lot of debt.

Most Helpful Response

Yes get a secured credit card

I would get one that reports to all three credit bureaus otherwise there is no point. Capital One reports to all three and quite frequently so that could help you build your score more. 

I think a secured card is a great idea.  Go to creditcards.com for a list of all cards available, their fees, interest rates and which bureau(s) they report to.  It's a free website, no commitment.  Use the card about once a month, and keep a very small (10-20%) balance on it.  If everything else stays the same, your scores should go up after a couple months of use.  Good luck!