Question

JLC9653

Is a credit card damaging or helpful?
So let me get this straight...you apply for a credit card to help build your credit, but every purchase you make drops your credit rating, even after paying the amount off??? I'm a little confused.

My credit rating is TERRIBLE and I am busting my *** to build it back up. I've been wanting to get a cc to help build my credit, but I don't want to be penilized. If making purchases on a cc drops your rating, then how is getting a cc helpful?? Someone help me out here please...

Use it the right way and it will help!

Making charges on your credit card does NOT drop your rating.  On the contrary, having and using credit responsibly is what establishes and builds your credit rating.   However, you've got to use it the right way and with the right formula.  

If you:  use it monthly, only charge 10-20% of your total credit line, pay off the entire balance monthly and on time before due date (no late payments), not only will you NOT be penalized but you will see your credit rating start to improve.  Note:  if you're maxing it out every month then that will drop your score...

Some strong factors that impact your score are length of open trade line, length of positive payment history, and your credit utilization ratio aka what percentage of your available credit you're using.  If you do the 3 things in the paragraph above, you will be positively impacting these three factors of your overall credit profile and you will be improving your credit and your scores will rise.

Credit cards are necessary in today's economic market.  It is the way that they are used that determines whether they are a detriment or a help to your scores and consumer profile.