Question

Turbokola

Is a balance tranfer a good idea?
Fortunately I only have $2500 worth of unpaid credit cards, all of which are close to max. CreditKarma tells me that I will probably qualify for a balance transfer to another card. (My credit is "good") My question is about the cards I do have already. How will those cards be affected? Will it just show that they've been paid off and I'm at a zero balance? Or will they actually "close" because of tranferring? It sounds like a good idea but not sure what will happen to the current cards. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Most Helpful Response

Depends on the Interest

I recently consolidated my credit cards and transferred the balances to a new Visa with a much higher credit limit.  I still have the other cards which will generally be kept in my safe for further use on occasion to keep them active.  My new card has a lower interest rate and a 0% interest on the balance transfer for 12 months.  The balance total was just over $2300 and I'm paying $300/mo on that, so the total will be totally paid off in about 8 months.  The old cards showed a $0 balance after the consolidation and they are still active because I've used them.  After a couple of years, one may be closed by lender, but that's far enough down the road, I'm not worried. 

That's my experience.  Hope it helps you.

Just to confirm...

I always assumed if you do a balance transfer, the old card is automatically closed.

I have a Visa open with 100% on time payment history for 6 years. Smaller balance.

I also have an AMEX with 100% on time payments for 2 years. Bigger balance.

If I do one of these 18 month no interest programs, can I move both balances to one new card and keep the old cards open? I'm not charging anything right now - the whole idea is for me to pay off what I owe.

To consider transfer?

Unfortunately I have a high amount, $8,700, currently a grad student no significant income. Credit score around 741, current card has 15k limit. I don't use the card, struggling to pay it off. Any advice? I am not confident if I can pay that off within the balance transfer offer period, usually `12-18 months.