Question

jhann23

Increasing average age of accounts and number of accounts
Recently moved to the USA from Canada and my credit does not transfer. I only have two accounts, one through my wife's credit card and a Target card. My report card has an F for number of accounts and also an F for average age of accounts (4mths). My current score is 703. The simulator says I can apply for another credit card without the inquiry hurting me, I plan to also get a secured credit card. My main question is whether having my father in-law add me to his credit card will help me increase my average age of accounts and count as another account. His credit card account is 22yrs old. Is this a good strategy?

Thanks!

I would think you would want to apply for your own credit card. If you get a card based off of your father-in-law, this would affect his credit report and not yours. But, you may want to get a second opinion. I do think you have a good start that may just take some time to build good credit. 703 is a fairly good score. Good Luck!!