Question

Posted in Taxes

Kwani

Incorrect Tax Lien
I showed an unpaid school tax which ended up in a tax lien. The tax had actually been paid correctly and on time so there was some sort of error by the school or the IRS. I had proof of payment and at the end of all this, I owed nothing (of course). However, when I called the county office to have the bad mark on my credit removed, she said that there was nothing I could do about it and that I must have done something wrong. I told her it was not my mistake and the proof is that I did not owe anything but she basically said, "too bad!" What can I do???

Most Helpful Response

You should dispute the error directly to the three credit bureaus. They are required to investigate. Get a copy of the paid receipt and a letter proving that your tax was paid on time and in full. Submit that with the dispute.

Kwani

I will give that a try.  Thanks!

Tax Lien Nightmares :-/

I'm going through the same thing right now with the state of Pennsylvania. In 2008, I was using TurboTax to file, and forgot to hit "Submit" when I finished my state taxes ... so my state return was never filed. However, my taxes were paid in full, on time, through my employer, which deducts them from each paycheck.

In September 2008, we moved to a new address. In 2013, the state filed a lien against me for "unpaid"  2008 taxes, even though they knew perfectly well they HAD been paid, since they had the money. In 2015, when the IRS sent my federal refund to Pa. to cover these "unpaid" taxes, I finally completed my 2008 tax form, and the state eventually refunded my federal refund. The lien was then considered "satisfied" (even though it should never have existed), and at THAT point it went onto my credit reports, and my scores plummeted about 90 points overnight :-O

Now I'm trying to get Pa. to remove this "satisfied lien" from my Public Records section, but they're insisting that they can't do that because (they say) it was a legitimate claim. I keep telling them that whether it was or was not legitimate, any creditor (in this case, the state) can remove ANY item from a credit report -- all they have to do is tell the credit bureaus to take it off.

I was getting nowhere with the rather nasty state employee who was answering my e-mails, so I finally turned for help to my State Representative. His staff member has said they weill contact their liaison in the Dept. of Revenue and see if he/she can help ... so I've got all body parts crossed that this might finally do the trick. If not ... I'm not sure where else to go with this, other than an attorney, which I really can't afford :-(

DancesWithWords

Oh, I forgot about the "new address" part: I kept telling the nasty state employee that I'd had no notice about this lien, but she insisted that they'd TRIED to contact me ... at my OLD address. Five years AFTER I'd moved (so no mail forwarding). And it's not as if the state didn't KNOW that I'd moved, since by then I'd had a new driver's license, passport, another five years of taxes paid, change of address through my employer, car insurance, car registration, student loan applications (for my youngest daughter) ... sheesh, a simple 10-second Google could have given them my correct address. But I guess that was too much trouble ...