Question

JacobsGG

Incorrect reporting by creditors
Two of my creditors have reported incorrect info to the credit bureaus. Both reported late payments when they were actually made and confirmed on or before due date. I had both contact the bureaus to change their info but this is so frustrating especially since I'm trying so hard to improve my credit rating. Why do things like this happen? What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again? I make sure on-line pmts are confirmed and check new statements to make sure pmts are posted - what more can I do? Thanks

If they continue to mess up, you can file complaints with the FTC (FTC.gov), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (consumerfinance.gov), your state attorney general, the Better Business Bureau.  Not much else you can do, other than keep a close eye on your credit reports by using a credit monitoring site (I prefer www.myiqreport.com, only 16.95 per month and you can pull a fresh report every 30 days from all three bureaus).  This is the nature of the beast.  If the data furnishers and credit bureaus would follow the law, our lives would be so much easier.