Question

MichaelintheLBC

In paying a charge-off, should I contact the original creditor by phone or in-person?
My Chase Freedom credit card was charged off by Chase and sold to a collections agency, which has continually passed from one agency to another. I assume contacting Chase first will be my best bet in attempting to remove the charge-off from my credit report by offering to pay the original debt. If this is the case, how will this affect the "in-collections" line from the collections agency on my credit report? And, should I contact Chase in-person, since I also bank with them, or is it better to contact by some other non- in-person method, such as by phone or mail?

Also, if I am successful in managing some sort of deal, can I negotiate opening a new account as part of the deal to repay?