Question

cupcake815

Improving over all score
I feel like there are a million articles and ppl who want to give advice but some hinder your score. I have great everything except I have too high amount of debt. I want to pay off some credit cards- would that a)improve my score and b) how much would it approve my score and c) how long of a time before i see it go up?

First off,only you can see your credit information here so any answer might just be speculation.  I do recommend taking the time to read the articles here since teaching how credit works is the specified purpose of Credit Karma and, since I did just what I am advising you, I KNOW it works.  Credit education is not provided at any school level.  Your scores will improve when you pay off the debts and you can learn effective strategies to do that by searching for Dave Ramsey's site.  Try his 'Baby Steps'. I can't say how soon your score will go up or precisely by how much, but it will. Learn about the Statute of Limitations on Collections and how to negotiate a 'pay for delete' agreement, both of which can save a lot of money. Please DO NOT CLOSE CARDS since that hurts your score and your goal should be to have your score go up, not down.  You can do this!! Feel free to ask more questions if you are not finding your answer in the articles.