Question

kstrong0326

Improve length of open account history
Hi,

If I have 6 accounts and the oldest 3 are 6 years old and 3 accounts are less than 1 year old, will closing the NEW accounts increase my credit score? I know they say closing an old account will negatively impact your score, so that makes me think If I close the newer accounts (zero balances), will that improve the score attributed to "Average Account History"?

Most Helpful Response

NO

Closing any account will hurt your score.

Your score is based on the available credit so closing accounts will lower the available credit and will do more harm than good.  If you don't want to use the cards put them away and only use them once or twice a year. Then pay them off when the bill comes in. 

The new accounts are "shortening" you age of accounts, but closing new accounts won't change that, The newer accounts will stay on your CR for 7 years even if you close them.  So there is no benifit to closing them.

Thank you very much!!