Question

MariaMaria07

Improve credit score with young age of credit history
I moved to the US not so long ago, luckily I already had an American Express credit card in my former country so I could get a credit card in the US because of that. I use this card wisely: my card utilization, payment history and derogatory marks are all excellent. But my age of credit history and total accounts are very poor. I can't change anything about the age, I just have to be patient. I tried opening more accounts, but they all get declined because I don't have a long enough credit history. These attempts only raise the number of credit inquiries, which is bad for my score. What can I do to improve my score, besides waiting years for it to get better?

Most Helpful Response

Try to get a couple of secured credit cards if possible. Research the different secured cards out there and see what you think you will have the best chance to be approved for. I think that secured cards offered by OpenSky don't even do a credit check and they report to all three credit bureaus (double check that they don't do a credit check). You could search for other secured cards by checking for preapprovals which won't do a hard inquiry. Capital One has a preapproval on their site, check it to see if you are preapproved for a Capital One card. There are always the subprime cards such as First Premiere and Credit One, They offer unsecured cards to just about anybody, but they come with a ton of fees, etc, but may be useful tools in building credit. You can also check around for a secured installment loan. The best seeds to get your scores growing are 3 credit cards and 1 installment loan that all report to the credit bureaus, Then unfortunately you have to give it some time. Worry more about gaining new accounts than about hard inquiries at this point in time. The inquiries will fall off in 2 years, but you are in need to get more accounts to get your credit profile and score growing.