Question

JWalkJay

Improve credit history
I canceled my oldest AMEX credit card which I used for over 10 years. I just realized this had a negative effect to my credit report. Can I gain that 10 years back by applying a new AMEX credit card? (I asked AMEX but they don't know anything about this...)

With FICO scoring systems closed accounts do still factor into the "average age of accounts" so you will be fine unless AMEX completely removed the account from your reports. Accounts closed in good standing will remain on your credit reports for at least ten years. To answer your other question about getting a new AMEX card to gain back the info from the old card, the answer is no. Watch your FICO scores, because they work differently than the scores you get here and most lenders will use a version of FICO scores, so they are the important ones.