Question

Utilizer

Impact of credit card utilization rate on my score seems overweighted relative to my overall perform
I've got a long credit history and several large mortgage accounts with zero late payments in history. My total CC limits are a tiny percentage of my overall debt but the utilization has been over 90% on all three cards for quite a while. I've used the simulator to test the impact of paying down the cards to below 30% of limits and my score jumps from Poor 639 to Excellent 763. It seems too easy to just pay these balances down and have that much impact on my score which was typically above 700 until high utilization crept up. Does it make sense that high utilization can impact my score more than 100 points? I have zero derogatory reports other than this high utilization.

Most Helpful Response

Utilazation

Utilazation is 30% of your credit score.  The second highest impact on your credit score so yes it will have a big effect.  Right now as far as Fico score is concerned you are using 100% of your credit.  The good thing is that utl has no memory so as soon as you pay that down your score will go right back up.  But I would get that down as fast as I could.  Other credit card companys do, do soft pulls to see how your doing and if they think that your in trouble could bring down your credit limits.