Question

sjb88

Impact of 180 day late from 5.5 years ago?
The 180 day late was for a student loan that I thought was still in forbearance from ACS. I didn't update my address with them and didn't get the notices. I never checked my credit back then, young and naive. I immediately paid the payment when I saw the 180 day late, which is a mistake now that I think of it as they would have granted a forbearance and retroactively removed the 180 day late from what my University finance office said.

I want to purchase a home in a year but am worried about the impact of this 180 day late. No late payments in 5.5 years since and active on time payments on all my cards . Credit karma shows a 756 score if I pay down my balances of about which I can do.

No late payments in the past 5.5 years and in a years time it'll be 6.5 years. If I pay down my balance. Is this 180 day late having a major impact on my score or is it the fact that lenders will see it that is more of an issue or both?

DO NOT TRUST THE SIMULATOR!

There is some impact,  but nobody can say how much.  Time will tell when it roll's off your Credit Report. 

Most Helpful Response

First off I would say it is not having much of an affect on your score.  You have a very decent score that should qualify you for most loans, including a mortgage.

Next year when you apply for a home loan it will still be there, and waiting the half year might make you a bit more attractive to the underwrighters.  but in all honesty I do not think it will be that much of an issue. Apply when you are ready, and at most the underwriter will request a letter explaining why that is on your report.

When you start looking for home lender, be sure to have a few or at least two companies putting you through the approval process.  The hard hits on your credit inquireies will only be seen as one if you are making a big purchase and they are within a couple/few weeks of each other.  By having a couple of companies give you approval you are getting to see the different interest rates they will offer as well as have a backup incase you hit up against a tough underwriter.

Be sure to read about what lenders expect for income to debt ratios, so you can have a good idea of what you need to pay down for current credit cards and loans, as well as how much you will need for a down payment and how much of a house you can look for.