Question

clanofthecavebear

i'm new to credit.
I'm 22 and have never had a credit card, I know hardly anything about credit. I have never owned a car or apartment, much less a house. I have never had any loans or grants, the only things I have record of are a few unpaid medical bills, is this why my score is soo low?

Your medical collections is the first thing that you want to get taken care of.  You need to get them paid as quickly as you are able.  This will help by having them shown as paid.    In the future, always remember to arrange a payment plan with the company so that it does not turn into a colleciton.  The next thing you need to do is to get yourself a credit card.  You will probably have to get a secured card from a reputable firm (one who will convert to unsecured and has no monthly maintenance fees).  Manage the card wisely, using it little and paying it off monthly to avoid the interest.   This will get you started on the road to good credit.

You are young and learning about credit is a smart move.  Too many people use credit with no knowledge of how it works and they get themselves into financial trouble.  Been there.  Please take the time to read the articles and use the financial tools here so you can get a very good idea of how credit works.  It is excellent information you will use for the rest of your life.  And YES, your slim credit history is the reason for your low credit score now, but you will be able to build a very good score with the knowledge you gain here.  I know, because I did.