Question

youngandneverpaidattention

Im moving in 6 weeks and have never had a credit card
My credit is terrible right now and ill need to find an apartment or rent to own. I hear rent to own can build credit, but will getting a credit card now boost my credit right away. Also i have a small amount in collections does paying that off with a credit card help more than cash or check?

If your credit is terrible, not sure you can qualify for a credit card.  Without reviewing your full credit report, I cannot say what you should or should not do.  If the collection accounts are nearing 7 years in age, I would let them fall off your report instead of paying them, as that would re-start the clock and they could stay on your report for another 7 years (unless you negotiate a Pay Per Delete with collectors in writing).  You need to do a lot of reading to get on track.  I suggest www.credit.about.com, no sign-in necessary and tons of great info.

Debt First

Pay your debt off first (it will still be there), take into consideration the possible incidentals. There very well could be a possibility that you may not get approved based on your credit. Regardless of what the rent to own or plain old renting situation is that debt has to be tackled one way or another.  What I would do:

1.) Pay your debt off

2.) Apply for multiple secured cards

3.) Rent/try a month to month if possible for less obligation until your credit has risen to a decent score. This opens up the possibilities for what you could apply for.

Put off moving for as long as you possibly can.