Question

Kids3K

I'm getting ready to buy a home.
I was told that I needed to raise my score a little more by making payments on a collection that I have. I have been making payments, but the collection agency said that they do not report to the credit agencies. What do I do to fix that? There is no way for me to pay the whole amount I owe, it's too much for me to out right pay.

OK they must be lying because if they didn't report to the credit bureaus, it wouldn't be an issue for you with regards to the mortgage.  Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and pull your full credit report until you find the account.  Then you can prove to them it is reporting.  Also, check out getting a mortgage through www.naca.com, a non-profit group where credit scores don't matter.  Best of luck!

NACA provides the NACA Workshop to everyone without becoming a NACA Member. After attending the workshop, should you decide to begin the NACA Program and the initial counseling, you need to be a NACA Member in good standing. This requires that the Membership Agreement and Authorization be signed by all household members. At your first individual meeting with a Mortgage Consultant, you will need to pay the Membership Fee, (for 2007 is $20 for the year). Once you purchase your home, you will need to pay the Membership Fee, which includes the Neighborhood Stabilization Fund Fee,of $50 a month for a period of between five and ten years, depending on the amount of the mortgage. The Membership fee entitles you to not only NACA’s comprehensive counseling to assist you throughout the home buying and mortgage process, but also to NACA’s membership assistance for NACA homeowners that provides comprehensive foreclosure prevention assistance.

I would tell them if they can't report payment to the credit bureau then there is no reason for you to pay it.... incentivize :)