Question

abbyalexis15

I'm getting denied when I apply for credit cards. I need some advice?
I'm a 22-year-old college student who works full-time. I just started working at my full-time job about 4 months ago. Before that, I had other jobs but they were part-time because of school. Now, I never applied for credit cards in the first place because I heard--from my mother--that they would be bad for you financially. So, when I graduated high school and started to go to college and work, I had the mentality that credit cards would hurt your credit. However, my boyfriend has 3 credit cards under his name, he is also a full-time student and works full-time, and he has good credit. He applied for his first credit card shortly after we graduated high school. I needed to build my credit, and after a while, I started to look into credit cards. Now, I still live with my mom, I do have a car that I make monthly payments on. I also have to pay for insurance, my cell phone, and I have student loans under my name. I signed up for Credit Karma to help me know where I'm at. I know my score is pretty low because I've had past due payments for Sprint (which I'm almost paying off at this point) and an energy bill that I put under my name for my father when he got a new house. I'm working my way to pay off my debts and to increase my credit score. However, whenever I would apply for credit cards, I would get denied. And I don't understand why. I've been reading on reviews that people who have little to no credit are getting accepted. Makes me wonder what I am doing wrong. Now, I know that applying for credit cards at once takes an effect on your credit score. I didn't know this information sooner and I wish I had. I was just wondering if there is any advice that may help me or if anyone had a similar experience. At this point, it is getting quite irritating.

Make sure that you are applying for cards that you have a good chance of obtaining. You didn't mention which cards you applied for, but usually a good place to start is a Secured card from Capital One. You should try your best to get any negative information removed from your reports. Do some reading on how to write "Goodwill Letters" to try to get the late payments removed. Short employment history may also be hurting you if you have only been at your current job for four months. I can't say exactly why I believe that you are being denied, but start with a Secured card and let some time go by and then work at getting an unsecured.

I forgot to mention, you will receive letters from the creditors that denied you with the reason for denial, that should help you determine what you need to work on.