Question

Jsort

I'm current on all my accounts, how can I raise my poor credit score?
I recently had all of my accounts in collections removed, which has raised my score from 535 to about 600. I would like to further increase my score however I don't know what else I can do. I'm current on my accounts and I only have about 3 inquiries from the past two years. I have an auto loan I'm paying off and a secured credit card both of which I pay extra on and never been late on payments, utilizing 30 percent of my credit.
I would like to buy a house soon but before I do so I would like to at least be at 700. I feel like I'm stuck at this score. I'm hesitant on applying for loans or credit cards because I'm not sure I'll get approved for any and I'll just be left with an inquiry that negatively affects my score. Any tips?

If you are saying that you only have one open loan and one open credit card, then you need another account. Get another credit card. The basic credit building tools are three credit cards and one installment loan that are reported to all three credit bureaus. I would only open one more card for now though. Do some research on cards to make sure that you app for one that you will be approved for. Capital One is a pretty lenient lender. Check the preapproval links on Capital One, Chase, etc. Watch your FICO scores too, when you eventually go for that mortgage loan, the lender will most likely use a version of FICO scores.

As for avoiding a Hard Inquiry, I don't know if it still works or not, but there is such a thing called the "shopping cart trick" so do some reading on that. Comenity has a card called Sportsman's Guide Visa, that some people have gotten without a hard inquiry via the "shopping cart trick" and the card is usually obtainable with fair to good credit. There used to be a couple of other cards that you could get through the shopping cart trick too, so do some research. Stay away from regular store cards though, the card I mentioned is a regular credit card that can be used anywhere.