Question

Tateyum13

I'm 19, credit score of 681, & 1 loan.. How to raise it? Refinancing loan through my credit union?
Having good credit has always been a goal of mine! I'm 19 and have a score of 681.. Is this good or bad? Also, the loan is for $2,000 with monthly payments of $105 (I've made 10 payments as of right now, all on time!) I've made exact payments every month seeing as I have been told that's the best thing to do.. I have two hard inquiries (I think that's what they're called) one being the loan and the second, I'm not positive but, I believe is from when I got a plan with AT&T. My utilization score is PERF! My questions are; why is my score not as high as I'd hoped? If I refinance my loan through my credit union (I have the loan through Regions) will that help my score? If the answer is to get a credit card in my name... Will it add another hard inquiry (if that's not what it's called then I hope you can figure out what I mean lol) on my credit? I just want better credit! Help! What can I do to raise my score at the age of 19?!

Most Helpful Response

Good for you, I think that's a pretty good score.  You should visit www.credit.about.com and start reading their website.  No sign-up needed and tons of great advice tailored to specific situations.  If you only have the one loan, you may need a credit card to help build up your credit.