Question

kp789592

Im 19, 9k in student loans and a closed card I owe 400 on, credit score is 549 how can i raise it?
I had a credit card that I opened my Senior year of High school and the max was 300.00. I [paid the first few bills, but made the mistake of forgetting about the card, racking up a 450.00 balance. The company closed my card, will this hurt my credit score? Will paying it all off at once help my score in any way since the card is closed?

I also have 9 thousand in student loans, this has to be unhealthy for a credit score, right? Although, I shouldn't have to pay the loans back until I am not enrolled in school. I just don't know how to build my credit score. I am at 549.

You need to get a secured credit card and start using it wisely to build up your score.  Visit www.creditcards.org for complete list of cards available.  Also visit www.credit.about.com to learn more on how to build up your score.  Best of luck!