Question

socalcochill

if my credit karma account showed me as being pre-approved for a credit card then hard enquiry shows
was pre-approved for chase sapphire then after i applied a hard enquiry was shown on my account

I suggest some reading on the credit basics. Almost every time that you apply for credit you will get a Hard Inquiry. Preapprovals are usually only Soft Inquiries and they do not affect credit, but when you actually go ahead and apply after checking the preapproval then you will get a hard inquiry. Also note that there are not any preapprovals on Credit Karma, they are only recommendations, more like ads actually, so don't put too much faith in them.