Question

cfnm735

If I replace an older card w/a new one, how can I get at least the credit limit I had?
I have older cards, one with annual membership dues. Some new cards look to be more advantageous to my current situation. My credit score is 785. If I apply for new card/s and cancel older ones, how can I ensure that my credit limits do not collectively fall.

Most Helpful Response

Please don't cancel your old cards (well, maybe close the one with an annual fee), it will hurt your credit score.  Just put those cards away and use them 1-2 times a year to keep them alive.  You can pay off the balance right away if you like.  You can compare tons of credit cards at www.creditcards.com to see limits, fees, etc.  If you don't close the old cards then your credit limits won't fall.  I don't blame you for wanting to cancel the one with the annual fee, however.  I hate paying for something I can get for free.

Be sure to check out the Articles under the Resources menu on the left, lots of great info in there about credit cards etc.  Good luck!