Question

ladouceur3

If I reopen a recently closed credit card (closed by bank), how will it affect my credit score?
Citi closed my card because I didn't use it for 25 months. This made my credit score go down by 67 points because it decreased my average age of credit. They said they can reopen it.. will that make my score better and make it like this didn't happen, or will it count as opening a new account and further decrease my score?

Most Helpful Response

Part 2

So I forgot to answer the effect of re-opening.... Yes it would and you should see your score go back up.

well is should not drop because of AAOA. Even after closed your account would stay with you for ten years if it is in good standing.  More then likely it was because it changed your utl.  Once you take away that credit line, if you were carring a balance then your utl would have naturally go up.  And since that is 30% of your score your score would drop.

Similar thing happened just with an old Chase card being closed because it wasn't used for a long time - big decrease in score, and MUST have been caused by shortening of AAOA. Credit limit was negligibly small so that wouldn't have impacted, but it was my oldest card - AAOA is now almost half what it used. Card was in good standing - 0 late payments. Planning to see if Chase will reopen account, but if they won't what else can be done?