Question

4moores02

If I remove my name from my husbands credit cards, will that help or hurt my credit?
I'm trying to lower my debt to income ratio, so will taking my name off of cc with a balance help my score and debt to income ratio?

Most Helpful Response

Yes, it will help your debt-to-income ratio, but that is not part of your credit score, nor is it reflected on your credit report.  However, if the cc is a good account (i.e. no late payments, not  in collection) and you remove yourself, then your score will take a drop (could be fairly big drop depending on your current situation) because you've lost the credit and payment history.  To learn more about now credit scores are calculated, visit www.myfico.com.

MikeO1973

I am in a similar situation, I just joined Credit Karma and checked my credit score to find I am still listed on an ex's card from over 10 years ago... I paid down my part of the balance of the card when we separated and left it in good faith that she would remove me from the account. Alas... The balance is almost maxed out now but no missed payments. It's showing that I have $33k in cc debt, when I only thought I had $14k from my Amex card. Your response to the other user's question worries me because I don't want my credit score to drop below 700 (it's at 704 now). Any advice? Am I screwed?

Husbands card on my report?

Why is my husbands old credit card on my credit report? It is not tied to my name at all. How do I get it off my report?