Question

mrsezhu

If I recently got a divorce, can I include that on my credit report if accounts are in decree?
Accounts are included in my settle agreement for defendant to pay, however he has yet to pay. I would like to include these accounts so that is not that I am just not paying the accounts that there is a legitimate reason.

Unfortunately, the first response you received is inaccurate. To say that you are not responsible for them is possibly bad advice. If your divorce decree simply stated he is responsible for payment only and it was a joint account, him simply being responsible for payment does not change the original lender/credit card agreement made with both of you while married. A divorce decree DOES NOT automatically remove your legal responsibility. Your ex would need to have the loans and/or credit cards in his name only via refinance etc... to remove you from liability. DO NOT rely on the first reply and simply wait and show a copy of your decree when it is too late. Be proactive and contact the lender to see if how you can be removed from these accounts. Know that as long as he is not paying, they are affecting your credit.

Those accounts will remain on your credit history for 7 years, as is explained in the articles here.  You are not responsible for them and can show a copy of the order to anyone that gives you trouble about these accounts.