Question

Thunderhorse365

If I pay part of my current balance before getting statement, do I still get rewards/cashback?
I want to keep my utilization below 10%, but doing this often requires paying a small amount before getting a statement. I'm not talking about paying off entirely pre-statement (since that leads to 0% reported utilization, which is bad), but I want to know if all charges count toward earning rewards, or if the rewards are calculated after the statement in the same weird way as utilization. Thanks.

I can't speak for all cards and lenders, but I know Chase Sapphire, Bank of America Cash Rewards and Travel Rewards does,  and American Express Blue Cash and Everyday does. Citi Bank Double Cash card does not. 

mindjazz

The Citi Double Cash charges must be in the balance section and not pending. If you pay the balance on this card before then, the rewards are not calculated. It takes up to four days for charges to clear. This is one of the oddest cards I've ever had. 

I've never dealt with Discover, but I imagine they're as Johnnybinsea states.

Sorry for the lack of clarity; I have a Discover It card. I was thinking it might vary by issuer, thanks for your help.

johnnybinsea

All charges as long as they are eligible and your card is in good standing will get rewards.

Ohio1978

Your Discover It card will get rewards regardless, so you're in the clear doing it the way you have been. It can take a full billing cycle or two to see the rewards on your account page I belive. I called Discover asking this and they said it won't show up right away.