Question

ILU234567

If I pay off all of my old debt what would it do for my credit score?
I have roughly $3000 in old debt if I paid it all off would it increase my score?

Most Helpful Response

Depends on how old the debt is.  Do a search for statute of limitations for collections and find out what it is for your state.  If the last debt payment made is older than the SOL, the debts qualify as being uncollectable and will drop off your credit report in 7 years from date of last payment.  In this case, sending in a payment restarts the clock on collectability.

I do suggest reading the articles on this site so you can get a better understanding of credit, how to use it and how to build and maintain a good score.  That is what Credit Karma is all about.