Question

Rhoosier31

If I paid off a medical debt shouldn't that company remove it from my credit report?
I have a letter saying we settled and I no longer owe them.

I was also told instead of accepting settled I should dispute it.  Under what claim though?

Paying a debt does not remove it from your credit reports, it just gets it marked as paid rather than unpaid. Most negative accounts remain on your reports for seven years whether you pay them or not.

Do some reading about "Goodwill Letters". That is a letter that you will send the collection company asking them to kindly remove the paid account from your reports. Look over the account well too, if you find any incorrect info, then dispute it with the credit bureaus and hope for a complete deletion rather than a correction of the incorrect info. Sometimes they will just delete the account rather than put the work into verifying or correcting it since they have already got their money.