Question

skywarn477

If I only pay the minimum balance would that increase my credit score
part of a credit score is length of credit, does this mean the longer I make payments on my credit card, the higher my score. I am using Genesis credit right now, it is not a credit card per say. It is a card I used and applied for to get dental work done.

Most Helpful Response

Paying the Min does nothing other then making the amount you will end up paying larger in the long run. 

If you have the Monies to pay off the account do it.  If you have 6 months 0 APR,  make 6 equal payments and do it be for the due dates.

A credit score takes into account on time payments,  and using no more than 30% of your available credit In order to increase your credit rating. I'm guessing you might use the maximum limit on this card for your dental work? 

As long as you make your payments by the due date, you should see improvement on your credit score over time. I would also encourage you to make higher payments to help drop the principal amount. Make two payments a month, if you're paid every two weeks.  It doesn't have to be the full minimum amount, but a principal reduction also looks good on a credit scre too, that you're not just paying the bare minimum.