Question

Pammykd47

If I have credit card accounts that I don't use should I close them or keep them?

Most Helpful Response

It depends.  Closing newer cards could raise your score while closing older cards could lower it.  Closing cards will raise your credit utilization percentage and most likely will lower your score as a consequence.  I got my first credit card almost 50 years ago and have probably gone through every possible scenario during the ensuing years in an attempt to improve my scores based upon what was the hot topic at the time, including closing cards that I didn't need because at the time the general consensus was too many cards could hurt your score even if you didn't use them because it was perceived as a risk to lenders since you (as a borrower) had the ability to borrow too much money too quickly and jeopardize your ability to pay.  As of this moment I only have 3 cards with very little utilization and my scores are quite high.  That said, had I kept all the cards open along the way, the average age of my cards might be double what it is today and my scores might even be a little higher.  Play around with the Credit Score Simulator in the "Tools" section.  Maybe it will help answer your question.

It depends on how many other cards that you have. I suggest some serious reading on the topic before you proceed as you can damage your credit by closing cards. If you do decide to close any cards, only close one card and wait to see the results before you close any more. Be careful and educate yourself on this before taking any action.

Never used account no card

I found myself applying for a credit card on line. Letters stating there's a credit card but no physical card. I don't want account