Question

Jbchevrolet

If I have a $200 credit limit on my Discover Card, how much should I be charging on it each month?
I have a Discover Secured Card. I just got it two days before Christmas. I only have a $200 credit limit. I can ALWAYS pay it off each month. My spending each month is way over $200 so what I've done so far is max out my card, then use my debit card until the end of the month, then pay the Discover bill when it comes in. In full. Is it bad to max it out every month?

Most Helpful Response

You were right at the end of your post.  It is not good to max out the card, no matter how low the credit limit is.  If you decide to not use it for a month or two, that's okay.  If you use it, keep the monthly total below $40, which is 20% of  $200.  Paying in full each cycle is GREAT!!!  I'd suggest keeping the credit card usage low and use the debit card for the majority of your purchases.  Please read the articles on this site so you can learn how to best handle your credit.  That is what the site is for.

Jbchevrolet

Thank you! From the articles I've read so far, that's what I got out of them but I just wanted to make sure. I have multiple credit cards though. I have 2 store cards in addition to the Discover card. One of them I use kind of frequently. The other I don't use at all. From what I understand, I should spend no more than 20% of my entire credit limit, right? So if I have a total of $750 with all my cards added together, couldn't I spend $150 on my discover card if I don't use any of the other cards that month?