Question

Ladypurple1785

If I get a credit card will it build up my credit

It can.  I hope you re-read the articles here since Credit Karma's purpose is to teach about credit.  I learned a lot that has helped me build my credit.

Paying debt on time and using any credit responsibly will help build your credit. As suggested by the other poster, read articles about credit.

YES!!!!! but be smart,get one with 0% APR if possible for 12+ months ,no annual fees and whatever you credit limit is,DO NOT SPEND OVER THAT!!! just start small like if you buy stuff and your blance is say $340.00,pay that off 2 days before the due date or on the due date Note: once you pay it on the due date that it will auto mark you that you did pay it on the "DUE DATE" so dont worry if the money is late taken out your bank,you will be fine!!!! LOL.Overall the easy way to look at this......, higher your current balance is at each month and you paid that "EXACTLY" amout off  "ON TIME" or two day before the due date,your point WILL SPIKE!!!! and when your 0% APR is about to expire,makre sure you payEVERYTHING OFF ASAP before your APR kick in if so your gonna pay more so.., you wanna close that card and just move on to another brand and repeat lol Hope this helps

Oh yes it does!! I had nothing but 4 negatives (accounts in collection), no credit cards, but I did have one paid auto loan and one open and paid on time every month for over 2 years. I stopped applying for cards for over a year. I was at the register in Victoria's Secret and they had a promotion that day to save 20% if you apply. I did and was APPROVED! It was a small limit, $300 but that started a positive thing. I've ALWAYS paid with cash or my debit card so I don't rely on credit. My score at the time of applying was 534. Not good. As time went by the points went up. Slowly. 3 months later I applied for a macys card just for the discount on merchandise I was paying for. APPROVED for $600! Most of my friends have been declined and have way better credit. I do believe trying for just the store card at the register does help. Never apply for the credit card version if you don't think you will qualify. About a month later I was pre approved for a Capital One Platinum card. After a year I finally got a "prime" card. Bank Of America Platinum card. Honestly I didn't think I was going to be approved. I fell for the "recommended offers" instead of being pre approved. I got the "your application is in review" instead of the instant denial. My credit still has those same 4 negatives on it but my credit score is almost 100 points higher. That was in a year. I keep my utilization under 20% and pay all my bills on time. Currently I have 5 store cards, 1 gas card, and 5 credit cards. Try pre approval sites. You'll know right away without a ding to your credit. I wish I did that before anything else. Each credit app drops your score whether you get approved or not. Too many apps and even if you have good credit you'll probably get denied. Try Comenity bank store cards. Synchrony Bank to me has been harder to get. I wasted apps on them. I'm taking a break from actually applying anywhere else unless it has a preapproval site. I know better now. Read everything you can this website and others. Learn as much as you can about a card before applying. Good luck!