Question

Lasersailor

If I filed for bankruptcy what would happen if I had accounts in collections?
I'm not sure if I should file bankruptcy I'm in a lot of debt and not working. I have a ton of student loans and had to get onto welfare in order to support my son while I look for a job. If I decide to declare bankruptcy how do you declare bankruptcy and what happens to the accounts I have in collections?

Most Helpful Response

First off, student loans are not generally dischargable in bankruptcy and remain collectable until paid in full, unless this situation gets changed by the government.  Contact the loan servicer to see what alternative payment arrangements can be worked out, because there are some things available. Repaying the loans should be your top debt repayment priority. 

Second, if you are not working, you do not have an income that could be garnished so bankruptcy would only be an additional expense   that you cannot currently afford.

Bankruptcy ruins your credit for 10 years, but unpaid collection accounts will drop off your credit report in 7 years.  Hopefully you will have aanother job long before then and can consider negotiating a "pay for delete" agreement on the collection accounts then.  Always do any agreement negotiatiions in writing and keep copies of all related correspondence as proof until this situation is fully resolved.

Right now, you are at "survival mode" and keeping a roof over your heads (this includes utilities) and keeping reasonably fed should be your primary concerns.  Things will work out, eventually.