Question

jstr357

If I dispute something on my credit does the date it was originally entered start over?
I disputed a defaulted credit card on my report. It was put on my credit 5 years ago. Will my fall off date now extend another 7 years?

Most Helpful Response

Nope.

The fall off date is based on "date of last activity" (DOLA) which means the last payment or charge to the account.  If it was an erroneous entry (not yours but placed on your credit report) it should be removed in 90 days.  If you disputed an entry that was one of your accounts but you didn't like what was entered, it will not be removed by the dispute but will fall off after 7 years from DOLA.  

However, you may want to check the statute of limitations for collections that applies in your state because a collection agency might still come after you for payment if the SOL has not yet expired and this is YOUR debt that you disputed.