Question

nicolep313

If i close a credit card how hard will it hit my score or should i just leave it be and not use it?

How old?

My rule of thumb is I like to keep my two oldest cards open (if no annual fee) so that they help the average age of accounts. A lot of the score component depends on what your average age of accounts will change to. If it will only swing the average age a few months; it will not make a huge difference. Also, don't forget utilization. It also helps to have old cards open, especially if they have high limits; since that goes into the calculation of overall utilization.

Please take the time to read the articles presented here because they explain credit very well and advise on what to do or not do to build a good credit score.  I went from a primarily cash-only basis to the point where I have several credit cards (most with a $0 balance or used only occasionally) and was recently able to finance a new car, which was impossible ten years ago. all from what I learned from the articles and the financial tools.  And I am on a fixed income.