Question

hardinquiry

If I ask for a credit increase on my credit card does it cause a hard inquiry on my credit report?

Most Helpful Response

The companies I have cards will utilize a hard pull on your credit when asking for credit limit increase. Most use the 3 major reporting bureaus and will pull from each at random. Ive had a few companies increase my credit limit on their own and that did not cause a hard pull. Hope this helps.

It completely depends on which company it is. Some do a hard inquiry and some do not. From my personal experience, Bank of America (Visa) does a hard inquiry, Capital One (Visa and MasterCard) do not. If you're requesting the credit line increase online, you SHOULD see a warning if it's going to do a hard pull, and you can cancel before that happens. If you do it by phone, just ask the rep you're talking to and they should be able to tell you whether it involves a hard pull.